Feb 6, 2012

PIF 02/04/12 and a shopping trip

I have been knuckling down, trying to get our house organized. We have had SO many extra bags of non-perishable groceries sitting around because I had not cleaned out expired medicine, put like items together, kept kids stuff in their own area, etc. So, I made it a point to go ahead and start with putting everything together that belonged together. Then, I slowly found a home for it. In the process of organizing my stockpile, I sent out a message to my family and told them to let me know if they needed anything. I managed to pass on:

-Toothpaste
-Toothbrushes
-Floss
-Deodorant
-Toilet paper
-Agave (sweetener)
-Body wash
-Vitamins
-Laundry detergent
-Liquid dish soap
-Shaving items
-Oatmeal
-Feminine products
-Soda

All in all, I think the shelf cost was somewhere around $100, probably a little bit more. It's exciting to be able to pass on so many blessings to those around me. I have been trying to slow down a little bit on buying things that I might no make it through any time soon. Also, I've been trying to focus more on trying to buy food, instead of toiletries (which are ALWAYS on sale/free). It's nice to be to a point where I can have my "rock bottom price" and not buy more of something until it get there or lower. If any of you are starting out with couponing, I would encourage you to keep up and get a little at a time. It might take a little while to get to that point, but the persistence is worth it.

As far as shopping goes, I went to Safeway and Walmart today and managed to get a pretty good deal! I actually got $1.00 put back into my pocket after shopping at Walmart today. That was the first time I've done that! This week was also a great trip to Safeway because they had their $10/$75 purchase and I had a Catalina from last week for $5 off your next trip. Gotta love "free money" ;-) Here's what I got:


The shelf cost for these groceries came to $150.26 and I paid $37.23. This gave me 75% savings! Here's hoping for some other good deals on food in the next few weeks :-)
Look at all the great stuff I got! There is a common misconception that you cannot eat healthy if you coupon. It's true that there are A LOT of coupons out there for junk, but it's not like you have to use them. I pick and choose which coupons I plan to use. I tend to keep all of them in case I need a snack to take somewhere or if I know someone else in the family will use it. Honestly, the part I miss about living in Gresham was being near all the whole food stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc.) If anyone reading this lives near those, Google that store + "coupon matchup" (i.e. "Trader Joes coupon matchup). There are plenty of people out there that can help you get good deals at those stores! Plus, many of them have their own store coupons and allow you to "stack" them with manufacturer coupons. It's great! I have found SO many good deals I would take advantage of if I still lived in the area :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment